Take-Along Breakfast Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, milk powder, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins.
- 2. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 4 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Flatten into 3-in. circles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 331 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Take-Along Breakfast Cookies
"Made these this morning and they were very good. Yes, they are high in calories, etc. BUT they are very large cookies, 1 per serving. I am ok with having them occasionally."
"These were absolutely delicious and I wouldn't change a thing about them! I first made them about a year ago and came here to find the recipe as I couldn't find the issue of Country Woman where I first found them. Thanks so much for posting these recipes online!"
"Ive made these twice for hubby and stepson to take hiking, and they LOVE them! (So do I!)"
"i think that you should relax, it's not like your going to eat five of these cookies for breakfast, they're big cookies, big size=more calories"
"How any calories do you eat for breakfast???? One cookie with a glass of skim milk and maybe a glass of o.j. That sounds pretty healthy to me!!!!I am going to try these cookies!!!!!!! Get a life P.S. I go by the U.S. government pyramid for eating. What about you????? "
"While I agree that these may not be the best choice for everyone,I'd like to believe we still have freedom of choice in this country and especially in our own kitchens. If you don't like the recipe, then don't make it, but please don't make that judgement for the rest of us, by suggesting it shouldn't be posted. This "nanny state" nonsense is getting ridiculous.By the way...I teach people how to eat healhty and lead healthier lifestyles. I don't demand that they follow my advice...ultimately it's their choice."
"I was going to make these till I read the comment.. You are right .. there are way too many calories and too much salt for my diet. Thanks for the commment."
"Hey Guy's ,I am very disturbed by the recipe for your "Take along Breakfast Cookie" ..How unhealthy is that..333 calories,15g,of fat;281mg of salt,etc,etc.In this "Era" of Obiesity,That is one of many Items that shouldnt be there..That's just TERRIBLE.."