- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/4-in. cubes
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 3 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a pastry blender or two forks, combine flour, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Remove 1 cup of mixture and reserve.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, egg, baking soda and extract. Stir into flour mixture until combined; pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. pan.
- Top with chopped Heath bars, almonds and reserved flour mixture. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Tailgate Toffee Bars
"I used a package of Heath baking bits instead of the chopped Heath bars and I'd added 1 tsp. salt with the egg, milk, baking soda and extract! I'd also used 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar! I took them along to our congregational picnic and they were very much enjoyed! This recipe is definitely a keeper for me! delowenstein"
"These bars had good flavor with the brown sugar and the almond extract. Mine did not bake up as pretty as in the picture. The batter ran up through the sides and the topping was very crumbly, making them messy to cut and serve."