You’ll need just a handful of ingredients to fix these tasty sandwiches from our Test Kitchen. Fully cooked sausages are stuffed with cheese and a homemade relish, then wrapped in foil so they’re easy to transport and a breeze to grill before the game.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup giardiniera
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cooked Italian sausage links
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 4 brat buns or hot dog buns, split
- In a small food processor, combine giardiniera and sugar; cover and
- process until blended. Make a lengthwise slit three-fourths of the
- way through each sausage to within 1/2 in. of each end. Fill with
- giardiniera mixture and cheese.
- Place sausages in buns; wrap individually in a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. x 10 in.). Grill, uncovered, over
- medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese
- is melted. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4
Editor's Note: Giardiniera, a pickled vegetable mixture, is available in mild and hot varieties and can be found in the Italian or pickle section of your grocery store.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 584 calories, 33 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 1,401 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.