Taffy Apple Cheesecake Pie Recipe
I prepare this dessert many times during apple season. But it's actually great for any occasion. The pie combines the fabulous flavors of caramel apples and cheesecake. —Leona Rothbauer, Bloomer, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 21 caramels
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, chopped
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a large skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Add apples. Cook, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine caramels and cream; cook over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; keep warm. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, remaining brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon pie spice until smooth. Add egg; beat on low speed just until combined.
- 3. Stir half of caramel mixture into apples. Pour into pastry shell. Combine pecans and chocolate chips; set aside 2 tablespoons for topping. Sprinkle remaining pecan mixture over apples. Fold remaining caramel mixture into cream cheese mixture. Spread over pecan mixture.
- 4. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 5. Combine whipped topping and remaining pumpkin pie spice; spread over pie just before serving. Sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece equals 501 calories, 29 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC