Tacos on a Stick Recipe
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the taco seasoning, tomato juice and oil; mix well. Remove 1/2 cup for basting; refrigerate. Add beef to the bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from beef. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef, peppers, onion and tomatoes. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Continue turning and basting for 8-10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (prepared with low-sodium tomato juice and 2 tablespoons oil) equals 291 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.