Taco Twist Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups picante sauce
- 1 cup uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, picante sauce, pasta, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with cheese and sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Taco Twist Soup
"This was great! I didn't have green pepper so added a can of mushrooms--still was wonderful."
"What a FANTASTIC soup! So much flavor! I changed a few things but am sure it would be fabulous as is. Used two cans of beans; one black and one tri - bean blend (pinto, black and red) used large onion and one whole large green pepper. Also added a half cup more pasta to the soup. It was better than chili and great for a meatless meal. SO filling!"
"Made this last night and my husband & I both really enjoyed it! Of course he would *really* enjoy it with some beef in it, but said it was great as-is! It's a keeper."
"This is a family favorite. My daughters love tacos, but my one daughter thinks she wants to be a vegetarian so she loved that this was with black beans. I serve it with toritlla chips and canned tropical tropical fruit on the side."
"Parfait pour les lundis sans viandes. Excellent!"
"For a meat-free soup, this was really filling. It was also very good. It was a nice change of pace from fish during Lent."
"Crumble in some tortilla chips like crackers to make it more "taco-like"."
"This is a delicious soup recipe. I used fire-roasted tomatoes for some extra flavor. Since I forgot to buy picante sauce I used salsa instead."
"Wonderful quick soup. Normally I shy away from quick soups and go for crock-pot recipes instead but I'm glad it gave it a shot. I cooked the green peppers along with the onions & garlic. I also added the whole jar of picante sauce (2 cups) and increased the broth by 1/4 cup. Next time I may add an extra 1/2 cup of pasta. Can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow."
"Oh, wow! I almost didn't make this because I thought my 9 year old might not like the seasonings but I put it together, added some ground beef and a can of corn. This soup was SO good! And my daughter RAVED!"
"This is one of my family's top picks. Very good. and healthy too!"
"fantastic for a cold night, just plain good for year round!"
"I love how easy this is and my kids love it"
"Easy and quick. Great vor vegetarians,too!"
"Great soup, have made it several times already!"
"Very good and filling!"