Meet the Cook: The idea for my recipe started with a food demonstration I didn't like. That version used things most people don't have on hand. So I decided to experiment, and out came Taco Tater Skins. We - my husband and I have a girl, 7, and a boy, 4 - make a meal out of these skins. But they're also great for parties as appetizers. (Have the recipe handy...you'll be asked for a copy!) -Phyllis Douglas, Fairview, Michigan
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Salsa and/or sour cream, optional
- Bake potatoes at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Reduce heat to 350°. When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use).
- Combine the butter and taco seasoning; brush over both sides of potato skins. Place skin side down on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and onions.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with salsa and/or sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Taco Tater Skins in Country Woman January/February 1999, p33
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Taco Tater Skins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review