Taco Tater Skins
Meet the Cook: The idea for my recipe started with a food demonstration I didn't like. That version used things most people don't have on hand. So I decided to experiment, and out came Taco Tater Skins.
We - my husband and I have a girl, 7, and a boy, 4 - make a meal out of these skins. But they're also great for parties as appetizers. (Have the recipe handy...you'll be asked for a copy!)
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 1 hour 5 min.
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Salsa and/or sour cream, optional
- Bake potatoes at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Reduce heat to
- 350°. When cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes lengthwise
- into quarters. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp
- for another use).
- Combine the butter and taco seasoning; brush over both sides of
- potato skins. Place skin side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and onions.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with salsa
- and/or sour cream if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 447 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.