- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (15-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups shredded lettuce
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the tomatoes, water, beans, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- To serve, break tortilla chips into soup bowls; top with avocados and lettuce. Spoon soup over lettuce. Garnish with cheese and salsa. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Taco Supper In A Bowl in Country December/January 2005, p51
Reviews for Taco Supper in a Bowl
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review