Shannon Talmage of Alexandria, Indiana sends this family friendly, taco-flavored version of the classic stuffed bell pepper dinner. Sometimes she uses rice instead of orzo pasta; they'll both work well in this recipe.
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to low. Add the tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Taco Stuffed Peppers in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p15
Reviews for Taco Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review