Shannon Talmage of Alexandria, Indiana sends this family friendly, taco-flavored version of the classic stuffed bell pepper dinner. Sometimes she uses rice instead of orzo pasta; they'll both work well in this recipe.
Recommended: Top 10 Mexican Dinner Recipes
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to low. Add the tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Taco Stuffed Peppers in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p15
Reviews for Taco Stuffed Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2013
"We enjoyed these but felt they needed a bit more salt & taco seasoning. Will definitely make again though!"
Reviewed May. 10, 2010
"I used rice rather than orzo. Even though we eat relatively low sodium meals, next time I'll add a little salt."