Taco-Stuffed Pepper Cups Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. Spoon into peppers. Place in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until peppers are tender. Top with sour cream, cheese and tomatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed pepper half (prepared with ground turkey, fat-free sour cream and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 261 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Taco-Stuffed Pepper Cups
"Excellent!! Definitly will make again."
"I made extra to have the next day. I would advise not stuffing all of the peppers until you are ready to eat. We substituted ground turkey for Boca crumbles and pinto beans (made from dry bean) for the kidney beans. I made my own taco season."
"I was not a fan of stuffed peppers until I tried this recipe. These are only lightly parboiled which allows the peppers to keep their crispiness and eliminates the bitterness some peppers get when cooked too long. I find Traditional stuffed peppers have a bitter sogginess to the pepper from overcooking. This is a very easy tasty recipe which everyone in my house loves. Even the vegetable haters eat them!"
"To make it lower in calories will not use beans. Very good meal!"
"My family LOVES this recipe, even the kids. I love that I can stay on my diet, and make something that the whole family is clamoring for"
"I used a full package of taco seasoning... gives it an amazing kick :)"
"This recipe was great and simple to make. I just served it with a side of long-grain and wild rice. I will keep this one for sure."
"This was good. I thought it could use a bit more heat. Next time I would either replace the tomatoes with salsa, or add salsa in addition to the other toppings, or add a bit of jalapeno or something. It was very good though"
"Was never a fan of stuffed peppers, but thought I'd take a chance on this. Love it! Have made it a number of times to use up peppers from the garden!"
"Great recipe that is wonderfully gluten free! I used black beans rather than kidney. Also, did 1/4 lb of turkey meat and mixed in 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice right before filling peppers and baking. I used yogurt instead of sour cream."
"I ommitted the kidney beans as well and used salsa instead of tomato sauce! How delicious!"
"i made these and omitted the kidney beans and they were great"