Watch store flyers—when lean ground beef is on sale, you’ll want to stock up. This family-pleasing entree is one for the front of your recipe files! —Sandra Parker, Glen Burnie, Maryland
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 14 green onions, chopped (white portion only)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Roll out pastry to fit two 9-in. deep-dish pie plates. Transfer pastry to pie plates; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is evaporated. Spoon into pastry shells.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the milk, butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mash until smooth. Spread over meat mixture.
- Sprinkle one pie with half of the cheeses. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake remaining pie, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- To use frozen pie: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 pies (6 servings each).
Originally published as Taco Shepherd's Pie in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012, p18
Reviews for Taco Shepherd's Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review