Our Test Kitchen developed this spicy, salt-free alternative to packaged taco seasoning. Stir it into dips or ground beef, sprinkle on chicken or wherever you want a Southwestern flair.
36 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight
- container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 3
Editor's Note: Not all chili powders are alike, and salt levels vary greatly. Ingredients are listed in descending order on package labels. Check your chili powder label to ensure that salt is not listed as one of the first three ingredients.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 teaspoon) equals 7 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: Free food.