- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 6-7 batches (about 3/4 cup total).
- To prepare tacos: In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Reviews for Taco Seasoning Mix
"My whole family loved this taco seasoning mix. I used half the salt, used garlic powder instead of dried minced and ground red pepper instead of the flakes. It has a lot of flavor and just the right amount of kick. Added bonus - it doesn't have that garish red/orange color of the store bought packaged kind."
"Citric acid is a good replacement for 90% of the salt used. Just gives a slight lemon flavor, which I love anyway. I also use less critic acid than I did salt a lot. Not a lot of difference in price, really good for salt problems."
"easy and quick to make. Most of these ingredients are on hand. The taste was great."
"great alternative to store brands - will make it again, but I also cut down on the salt"
"I've tried a lot of different seasoning recipes for tacos and this is the only one that my kids like."
"YUCK. This was horribly salty. I would never make it again."
"I needed a low sodium taco mix and made with only 1 TBSP salt instead of 3. It was much better than the packaged stuff and cheaper too. Will keep this recipe."
"My family agrees that they would rather have this seasoning for taco meat instead of buying the packets at the store. A great money saving idea for the person who always has these ingredients on hand."
"I have been making this recipe for many years. I have to make a very large batch because my friends all want me to share. I cut down the salt. This is the best taco seasoning I ever had."