Taco Salad Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup fat-free Catalina salad dressing
- Shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, bouillon, cumin and salt; remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomato, orange pepper and green onions. Spoon beef mixture into taco shells; top with salad mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2 tacos (calulated without cheese and sour cream): 334 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Taco Salad Tacos
"This is really a great recipe. It is so easy to use spices and herbs from your cupboard rather than those prepackaged ones. This is virtually how I make mine and this is how I can choose how much of each spice and herb to use. We use the grated longhorn cheddar, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce.The beef bouillon is a nice touch and I use it in my spaghetti sauce as well. I use Better Than Bouillon which I believe has a superior flavor and no MSG.Most often though, we have the more traditional carnitas (pork) tacos with pico de gallo loaded with fresh cilantro."
"i never it yet"
"Made this recipe as a salad on a plate without the taco shells. Crumbled a few tortilla chips on top. Even without the Catalina dressing my husband said this recipe is a keeper. This is a good thing because it's hard to find diet friendly recipes to suit him."