Taco Salad for a Large Crowd Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 26 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Taco Salad for a Large Crowd
Sort By :
My family loves this salad and we are so GLAD to find it! ...only thing I changed: I usually use ground turkey and leave out the 1/3 cup sugar...the thousand island usually has enough. I really love this- especially for summer...anytime, really! Try it...guarantee you will add it to your repertoire!
My new "go-to" taco salad recipe! It is delicious! No need for the extra sugar as the thousand island dressing adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Have done Catalina for years.. Tried this.. Won My Family Vote By Far!!! Thanks, can't get enough.,
We love taco salad, but hate soggy chips. Whenever I make this for home or to take to potluck I just fix a big chopped salad with several lettuces, shredded carrots, and put the prepared meat and chips, cheese, tomatoes, onions, peppers, black olives, and sour cream in seperate bowls. I also set out a bottle of taco sauce, and Western dressing.. Everyone makes their own, and if there are any leftovers, you can make a fresh salad the next day, heat up the meat and it is just as good as when it was first served.
I make this all the time, I don't use the sugar though, not sure about that. This is really good, and easy. I always take everything and throw it together just before eating.