- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 26 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Taco Salad for a Large Crowd
Sort By :
"As written, this is yummy. Can't rely on these ratings because people are rating their changes."
"I have made this for years and my family loves it! I use no salsa , sugar or 1,000 island dressing. Right before I serve it, I add Catalina or French dressing."
"I use black beans instead of kidney beans,no sugar,Lime tortilla chips instead of nacho, no thousand island.I let the guests choose from,sour cream based buttermilk ranch,honey mustard,or a french dressing."
"Something l have heard about over the years, it was very good but not something l cared for. I'm sure it would be a wonderful addition to any pot luck."
"Loved it! Will definitely make it again. I substituted green onions for the sweet onion and green olives for the black olives. Cut down on the sugar also. Even with the changes, it was still outstanding."