- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 26 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Taco Salad for a Large Crowd
"With a few minor adjustments due to availability, this was a great success. Did half the recipe and offered the olives as an add on for personal preference. Quick, easy prep. and leftovers kept well for late comers."
"yummy all loved it soooo good and easy and too some who changed whole recipe lol what you described i wouldnt feed to my dog you must not know how to cook"
"The salad itself was good - basic, but good. However, the dressing was awful! I made the salad again the following weekend. I made a salsa ranch dressing and it won rave reviews. One item I changed in the salad, I left the meat unseasoned but added taco flavored tortilla chips and added a can of corn kernels. I try to keep salt to a minimum. My son (a schooled chef) ran to the kitchen to chop an avocado. Everyone added the cubed avocado to the top of their salad."
"As written, this is yummy. Can't rely on these ratings because people are rating their changes."
"I have made this for years and my family loves it! I use no salsa , sugar or 1,000 island dressing. Right before I serve it, I add Catalina or French dressing."