- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 26 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Taco Salad for a Large Crowd
Sort By :
"Something l have heard about over the years, it was very good but not something l cared for. I'm sure it would be a wonderful addition to any pot luck."
"Loved it! Will definitely make it again. I substituted green onions for the sweet onion and green olives for the black olives. Cut down on the sugar also. Even with the changes, it was still outstanding."
"Excellent everyone loved it"
"My family loves this salad and we are so GLAD to find it! ...only thing I changed: I usually use ground turkey and leave out the 1/3 cup sugar...the thousand island usually has enough. I really love this- especially for summer...anytime, really! Try it...guarantee you will add it to your repertoire!"
"My new "go-to" taco salad recipe! It is delicious! No need for the extra sugar as the thousand island dressing adds just the right amount of sweetness."