Taco Salad Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Toppings: chopped lettuce and tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, sour cream and picante sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- 2. Place chips in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, stir refried beans; spread over chips. Top with beef mixture and cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and olives. Serve with sour cream and picante sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground beef, reduced-sodium taco seasoning, low-fat tortilla chips, fat-free refried beans and reduced-fat cheddar cheese; calculated without toppings) equals 405 calories, 1,181 mg sodium, 47 mg cholesterol, 31 gm carbohydrate, 37 gm protein, 12 gm fat, 6 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 2 starch.