"I found this recipe in an old school cookbook," writes Sandy Fynaardt from New Sharon, Iowa. "It's always a favorite at potlucks." Sandy says she prepares the rest of the ingredients while the ground beef is browning, so dinner is ready in minutes and costs just 83¢ per serving.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (7-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- Set aside 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. In a large skillet, cook beef
- over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in remaining taco
- In a large bowl, layer the beef, lettuce, beans, onion, tomatoes,
- cheese and tortilla chips. In a small bowl, combine the salad
- dressing, taco sauce and reserved taco seasoning; serve with salad.
- Yield: 12 servings.