Most of my favorite recipes—including this one—come from my mother-in-law, who's a truly terrific cook. By including rice in this taco-type dish, you can forgo the tortillas—Mary McCann, Falmouth, Virginia
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1-1/2 cups Minute® White Rice, cooked
- Tortilla chips
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, kidney beans, sour cream, sliced ripe olives
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Add the salsa, tomato sauce and bouillon. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in
- rice. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Serve
- with tortilla chips and toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Serve Taco Rice at your next buffet dinner by making a double batch in advance and reheating it in a slow cooker. Ask each guest to bring a taco topping, such as diced tomatoes, chopped onions, shredded lettuce or any of the optional toppings listed in the recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 320 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,374 mg sodium,