This has been family favorite for years. Everyone can help prepare the pizza—from the homemade dough to the customizable toppings. —Marla Alexander, Beloit, Wisconsin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup fat-free refried beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Stir in refried beans; heat through.
- Punch dough down; roll into a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a 12-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Dot with oil. Spread beef mixture over dough. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Sprinkle with tomatoes, onion, olives and cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Taco Pizza Grande in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p48
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Taco Pizza Grande
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2012
"This pizza was amazing!! We'll be making it again for sure!I did change a few things...I bought premade dough at my grocery store and put everything on the pizza (including jalapeno slices) at the same time and cooked it at 500 until the crust was golden brown. We also topped it with a small drizzle of taco sauce after it cooled! Soo yummy!"