Taco Pita Pizzas
Friday nights are pizza night at our house. This lighter version of the taco pizza at a place in town is a favorite! —Joanne Wiltz, Santee, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chilies. Place pitas on an
- ungreased baking sheet.
- Spread 2 tablespoons salsa over each pita. Top with turkey mixture;
- sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 5-10 minutes or until
- cheese is melted. Serve with lettuce, tomato and remaining salsa.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pizza equals 459 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 1,006 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.