I'm always creating new recipes...this one went over very well with family and friends. These mouthwatering muffins are excellent with refried beans.—Donna Krivdo, Prescott Valley, Arizona
Recommended: 25 Surprising Ways to Use Jiffy Mix
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoing
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in meat mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove muffins to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top each with salsa and cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: about 16 muffins.
Originally published as Taco Muffins in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p82