- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Transfer to a bowl; cool. Chill for 1 hour.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Gently toss with butter. Fill each shell with about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture. Place 12 shells in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare remaining shells, spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with stuffed shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses and chips. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and onions.
- To use frozen shells: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours (shells will be partially frozen). Spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish; top with shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses and chips; proceed as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews for Taco-Filled Pasta Shells
"These were a big hit at our house. I'm looking forward to using the rest of them when I need a convenient, healthy meal.I am always looking for ways to add more veggies to my meals. To this I added diced onion, celery, and red bell peppers. With the additional bulk I had left over filling.I used a cookie scoop to fill the shells, it worked very well."
"At our house we call this Pastaco. My daughter chose these for part of her graduation party which was a Mexican menu."
"This is a go-to recipe for me - great way to make lots of lunches ahead of time too!"
"so easy to make, very tasty."
"We LOVE this dish! I have made it many times and often make it for friends, neighbors and family , it s always a favorite to anyone who has it!"