- for 1 to 4 hours or until softened. Drain and rinse beans,
- discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until
- beans are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add to the bean mixture; stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes,
- stirring occasionally.
- Crush tortilla chips. Stir into chili; cook for 5-10 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with cheese, lettuce and olives if desired. Yield:
- 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without optional toppings) equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 699 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.