During the busy holiday season, folks are thrilled to receive a jar of chili fixings for a no-fuss dinner. The flavor is fantastic!—Suzette Jury, Keene, California
Featured In: 30 Recipes for Gifts in a Jar
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried red beans
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups tortilla chips
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and sliced ripe olives
- Layer the beans in a 1-qt. glass jar. Place seasonings in a small resealable plastic bag; place in jar. Top with chips. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 2 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare chili: Remove chips and seasoning packet from jar and set aside. Sort beans and rinse in cold water.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1 to 4 hours or until softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to the bean mixture; stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crush tortilla chips. Stir into chili; cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Serve with cheese, lettuce and olives if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Taco Chili Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p120
Reviews for Taco Chili Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review