Taco Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup fat-free Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch srips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch srips
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Tortilla chips
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa and sour cream. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over chicken. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil for 3 minutes on each side. Add peppers; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Drizzle with lime juice; keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, toss the romaine, cheese, cabbage, tomato and carrot. Add chicken mixture. Serve over chips; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups salad with 20 tortilla chips) equals 360 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 813 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.