We have five children who love Mexican food, salads and chicken. So I combined all three to make this crunchy main dish. There's no groaning from anyone when I set it on the table! —Margaret Yost of Casstown, Ohio
- 1/3 cup fat-free Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch srips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch srips
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 12 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Tortilla chips
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa and sour cream. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over chicken. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil for 3 minutes on each side. Add peppers; saute 2-3 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Drizzle with lime juice; keep warm.
- In a large bowl, toss the romaine, cheese, cabbage, tomato and carrot. Add chicken mixture. Serve over chips; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2001, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Taco Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review