- 3-1/2 cups to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, taco seasoning, sugar, yeast, onion and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the soup, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in chilies and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Taco Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p73
Reviews for Taco Bread(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review