Taco Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1. In a stockpot, cook sausage and beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes and salsa. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Garnish with sour cream, cheese and olives if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 cup: 236 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Taco Bean Soup
"I have made this recipe several times with variations. This recipe is 5 star as written, however my nine year old prefers it with less heat. I like to use Rotel Tomatoes with Cilantro & Lime. Because the majority of people I serve are vegetarian we often leave out any "meat" likeness and it still has great flavor and is very filling. This recipe make about a gallon of soup so make sure your pot is large enough to handle it all. I would give this more stars if possible. =D"
"This is a fantastic version of chili that is so simple to make with basic ingredients that are already on hand. It is so easy to adapt for a large crowd. The variation of beans and addition of sausage creates a different texture in the mouth. I usually add a can of black beans for even more color."
"I did not use sausage as I didn't have it. I the Seasoning for Tacos mix from this site in place of packaged taco seasoning. I replaced kidney beans with black beans as we like them better. I used Fire-roasted tomatoes in place of stewed because that is what I had. I added the can of green chilies as suggested. My salsa and mexican diced tomatoes were too spicy for some of my family so they had to dilute it with some tomato soup which worked just fine. I served as suggested with the addition of tortilla chips. This went together quickly and was a perfect week-night meal. Can't wait to make it again!"
"I didn't have garbanzo beans & used black beans instead. Added sauteed garlic & onions; added an extra package of taco seasoning & increased the water to 6 cups (I thought this was closer to a stew). This will become a staple in my house! Dee Dee"
"this is a big favorite in our house - the only changes i made was i used 2 lbs ground beef instead of the sausage... replaced the garb beans w/either black beans or great northern beans - and cut down by 1 can of any of the beans if i felt it was too thick.we also crush some tortilla chips on top! yum!"
"Try substituting italian style diced tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes and add a can of Black beans to the mix:)"