Storing Seasoned Hamburger Mix in the freezer helps Dorothy beat the clock when she is creating this change-of-pace tossed salad. Guests will love how it's chock-full of good stuff, including fresh tomatoes, chopped avocado and canned kidney beans.
Recommended: 30 Salad Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 6 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Seasoned Hamburger Mix, thawed
- 1 bottle (7 ounces) green taco sauce
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Ranch salad dressing or dressing of your choice
- Chop two tomatoes; cut remaining tomatoes into wedges. In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, tortilla chips, cheese, beans, avocado and chopped tomatoes; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine hamburger mix and taco sauce. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Spoon over salad; toss gently. Top with tomato wedges and onions. Serve with dressing. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Taco Bean Salad in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p14
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Taco Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2009
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2009
"Can also use 1 lb. ground beef and taco seasoning."