This cool refreshing salad is perfect to serve in warm weather. Bulgur blends deliciously with parsley, mint, tomatoes, onions and lemon juice. "My brother brought this great grain dish to a family gathering," explains Wanda Watson of Irving, Texas. "I loved the taste and texture so much, I had to have his recipe.
6 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions (tops only)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 6 romaine leaves
- Place bulgur in a bowl; stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30
- minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry. Stir in
- the lemon juice, oil, onions, parsley, salt and mint. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, stir in tomato. Serve
- in a lettuce-lined bowl. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.