Szechuan Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
Simple seasonings transform crisp, sweet sugar snap peas into an unbeatable side dish your family will favor. Chopped walnuts can be used in place of the cashews.—Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
- 6 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup salted cashew halves
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute peas in peanut oil and sesame oil until crisp-tender. Add the onions, orange peel, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes; saute 1 minute longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cashews just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC