Szechuan Sugar Snap Peas
Simple seasonings transform crisp, sweet sugar snap peas into an unbeatable side dish your family will favor. Chopped walnuts can be used in place of the cashews.Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup salted cashew halves
- In a Dutch oven, saute peas in peanut oil and sesame oil until
- crisp-tender. Add the onions, orange peel, garlic, ginger and pepper
- flakes; saute 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Sprinkle
- with cashews just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.