Szechuan Pork and Broccoli Recipe
- 1 pound fresh lean pork (tenderloin or roast)
- 6 to 8 green onions
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion
- 12 edible-pod peas
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 slices fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1. Cut pork into narrow 1-in. strips, 1/4-in. thick; set aside. (Partially freeze pork first for easier cutting.) Cut green onions, peppers, broccoli and onion into 1-in. pieces; set aside. Combine garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, hot water, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce (or substitute 8 tablespoons prepared Hoisin Sauce for the ketchup and soy sauce); set aside. In wok or large skillet, heat peanut or vegetable oil over high heat. Stir-fry the pork in oil until browned; remove from wok and keep warm. Add more oil if necessary and stir-fry all vegetables tender/crisp. Add pork and sauce mixture; cook until thickened. Serve with boiled rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 228 calories, 17g fat (0g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 10g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Reviews for Szechuan Pork and Broccoli
"I have been making this recipe since I saved it years ago and it is one of our favorites."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer