Symphony Onion Soup
You won't miss a step with this savory soup that has a touch of sweetness from molasses. Tender onions and a beefy broth make it especially noteworthy. You can serve it solo or topped with Quarter Note Croutons.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 Quarter Note Croutons
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in butter. Cover and
- cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in
- the molasses and sugar. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. In a small
- bowl, combine flour and wine or water until smooth. Add to onion
- mixture with broth, bay leaves, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard
- bay leaves. Ladle into bowls; top with croutons. Yield: 10 servings.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic