- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 Quarter Note Croutons
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions in butter. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the molasses and sugar. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine flour and wine or water until smooth. Add to onion mixture with broth, bay leaves, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Ladle into bowls; top with croutons. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Symphony Onion Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p53
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Symphony Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review