I developed this recipe to serve at breakfast to the guests at my bed and breakfast.—Debrah Mosimann, Lititz, Pennsylvania
- 8 to 10 slices bread, torn in pieces
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted or 1 cup thick homemade white sauce with 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- Arrange bread in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Whisk together the eggs, 1-1/2 cups milk and seasonings; pour over bread and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. Combine the soup, cheeses and remaining milk; spread over sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Woods Souffle in Country December/January 1991, p15
Reviews for Swiss Woods Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review