Similar to a calzone, stromboli is a type of turnover stuffed with various cheeses, meats and veggies—usually baked inside a pizza dough. Use this simple recipe to experiment with your favorite flavor combinations.
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 portion (1 lb.) Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 3 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces sliced deli turkey
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in mustard; set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer the cheese, mushroom mixture and turkey lengthwise over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Turkey Stromboli in Healthy Cooking August/September 2012, p30
Reviews for Swiss Turkey Stromboli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review