I think this is a great side dish for barbecued chicken or ribs. Sweet onions are available most of the year, so don't substitute another type of onion...the dish will not be as fantastic.—Madeline Etzkorn, Burien, Washington
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 8 cups sliced sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the cooked rice, cheese, cream, salt and nutmeg. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Sweet Onion Casserole in Easter Recipe Cards 2013 2013
Reviews for Swiss Sweet Onion Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review