Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1. Cut steak into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown steak in oil. Drain and place in a 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Top with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Combine the water, garlic and steak sauce; pour over vegetables,
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with salt-free seasoning blend and 1 tablespoon oil) equals 270 calories, 13 g fat, 69 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.