Mom was always glad to prepare this tender, flavorful dish for a birthday dinner when one of my three brothers or I'd ask her for it. The celery, onion and mushrooms make it extra special. Now my family enjoys Swiss Steak when I make it for them.
-Dianne Esposite, New Middletown, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic
- bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a
- time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil. Drain and place in a
- 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Top with the celery, onion and mushrooms.
- Combine the water, garlic and steak sauce; pour over vegetables,
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is
- tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with salt-free seasoning blend and 1 tablespoon oil) equals 270 calories, 13 g fat, 69 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate,