Swiss Steak Supper Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak (about 1/2 inch thick), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chilies, drained
- 4 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt if desired and pepper. Add steak and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef on both sides in oil over medium heat until no longer pink.; drain. Add the tomatoes, onion and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer for 70-80 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared without salt) equals 366 calories, 427 mg sodium, 70 mg cholesterol, 30 gm carbohydrate, 29 gm protein, 14 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.