Swiss Steak for Two
Even though I'm a widow, I still cook for two since I frequently have a friend or grandchild join me for lunch or dinner. This is a hearty main dish that gets great flavor and color from tomatoes, green pepper and onion.Mildred Stubbs, Rockingham, North Carolina
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless beef round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and
- pepper. Cut steak into two pieces; place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown steak in oil. Add tomatoes.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add green pepper,
- onion and remaining salt. Cover and simmer until meat is tender,
- about 30 minutes. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 379 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 1,141 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.