Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil. Drain and place in a 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Top with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Combine the water, garlic and steak sauce; pour over vegetables,
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Swiss Steak(9)
Sort By :
This should be called something else. It is not Swiss steak - no tomato.
I've made this several times and it is now a favorite of my husband. It's easy.healthy and absolutely delicious. You MUST try it! Thanks for the recipe Dianne:-)
I have been making this recipe for years, the family loves it and it is super easy.
My husband and I are living in France this year, so I had to make some modifications to this recipe. I added a pinch of Herbes de Provence to the steak and vegetables in the oven dish. Also, steak sauce is not available here, so here is what I did...3/4 cup water (out of the 1 cup mentioned), 1 small beef bouillon cube, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Arome Saveur (the French equivalent to kitchen Bouquet) added to the steak and vegetables after browning. I saved the leftover flour from the meat dredging, added another 1/4 cup water, and thickened the juices at the end. We both really enjoyed this meal, and I will make it again once back in the states.
My husband and friends love this recipe and so do I.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >