Swiss Souffle Mushrooms Recipe
Here's a fresh take on stuffed mushrooms. Each one is topped with a delicate Swiss cheese souffle. These will make your appetizer tray look superb.—Karen Sue Garback-Pristera, Albany, New York
- 2 eggs
- 32 large fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1. Separate eggs; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop stems to measure 1 cup; set caps aside. Discard or save remaining mushroom stems for another use.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute chopped mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender; transfer to a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs, cheese, milk, egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg if desired.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into mushroom mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each mushroom cap. Place on greased baking sheets. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over mushrooms.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and tops are golden brown. Yield: 32 appetizers.
1 stuffed mushroom equals 38 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Swiss Souffle Mushrooms
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC