Swiss Scalloped Potatoes
If you're a fan of French onion soup, you'll love this layered potato casserole. My family really enjoys it with ham, turkey or pork roast.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 5 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the
- potatoes, onion, pimientos, garlic and Swiss cheese; sprinkle with
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Repeat layers once. Top with
- remaining potatoes, onion, pimientos, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour
- broth over the top; dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375°
- for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 30 minutes longer or until
- liquid is absorbed and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes
- before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 237 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.