Swiss Scalloped Onions Recipe
This rich, special side dish makes frequent appearances on my Thanksgiving menu. Simmering the onions before assembling the casserole mellows their flavor.
- 2 quarts water
- 7 cups sliced onions
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 cups cubed French bread
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; add onions. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Place onions in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Whisk in the flour, Worcestershire sauce, salt, paprika and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over onions; toss to coat.
- 3. Top with bread cubes. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup: 244 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Swiss Scalloped Onions
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC