Swiss Potato Kugel
I've enjoyed cooking and baking ever since I was small. I'd rather read a cookbook than a best-selling novel. I thoroughly enjoy planning a sumptuous dinner for my family. We have a daughter who loves potatoes of any kind. I believe she could eat this dish and pass over all the other goodies on the table.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups shredded or diced cooked peeled potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Tomato slices and fresh thyme, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from
- the heat; add potatoes. Toss cheese with flour, salt and pepper; add
- to skillet and blend well. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and
- cream. Stir in the potato mixture. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square
- baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until
- golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes; cut into squares. Garnish with
- tomato and thyme if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: The recipe can be prepared the day before, covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 355 calories,