Swiss Potato Kugel Recipe
I've enjoyed cooking and baking ever since I was small. I'd rather read a cookbook than a best-selling novel. I thoroughly enjoy planning a sumptuous dinner for my family. We have a daughter who loves potatoes of any kind. I believe she could eat this dish and pass over all the other goodies on the table.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups shredded or diced cooked peeled potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Tomato slices and fresh thyme, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add potatoes. Toss cheese with flour, salt and pepper; add to skillet and blend well. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and cream. Stir in the potato mixture. Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes; cut into squares. Garnish with tomato and thyme if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 355 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 468 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC