Swiss Pot Roast
My family loves the taste of this tender roast. I love the fact that it's so easy to prepare—it even makes its own gravy. The house smells wonderful when this hearty main dish is cooking, so I'm apt to hear the question, 'How long until dinner?'—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. Add the
- potatoes, carrots and onion. In a large bowl, combine the flour,
- water, tomato sauce, bouillon, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour
- over the roast and vegetables.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is
- tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 479 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 38 g protein.